Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Featured Barnacle Products:
Dill Kelp Pickles Sweet & Tangy Kelp Pickles
Our own twist on this fluffy, crispy, briney bread, kelp pickles add a tangy flavor and are a beautiful addition.
- 3 1/4 cups (480g) flour
- 1 1/2 cups (350g) water
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sourdough cup starter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Kelp Pickles (Sweet & Tangy or Dill)
- Flaky salt for finishing
- Mix flour, water, salt, and starter in a bowl until all of the dry flour bits are incorporated. Dough will be very sticky.
- Add 2 tbsp olive oil and work it into the dough. Dimpling the dough here helps you knead and bind the layers of dough together.
- Turn the dough out onto a 8 x 13 in dish drizzled with olive oil and let it sit for 30 minutes, covered with a lid or other airtight seal
- After 30 minutes, start to fold the dough over its self a few times by picking the dough up in the middle and letting the two ends fold onto each other. Repeat as many times as possible then let rest for another 30 minutes. Repeat this folding process every 30 minutes up to 4 times.
- Let dough rest for 30 minutes, then use your fingers to spread the dough out to cover the bottom of the 8 x 13 dish.
- Proof dough for 2-4 hours (or until puffy) at room temperature, or leave overnight in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 450F. Oil your hands and dimple the dough. Garnish with pickles, spices from the kelp pickle bring, you choice of kelp seasonings or flaked salt.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.